Wednesday 7 May 2014

Book Review: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Buy This Book
Pushing the Limits #1
Pages: 203
Published: July 2012
Genres: YA, Romance


Goodreads Synopsis... 
I can't remember the night that changed my life. The night I went from popular girl to loner freak. And my family are determined to keep it that way.

They said therapy was supposed to help. They didn't expect Noah.

Noah is the dangerous boy my parents warned me about. But he's the only one who'll listen. The only one who'll help me find the truth.

I know every kiss, every promise, every touch is forbidden. But what if finding your destiny means breaking all the rules?


Review...
 
I started reading this book, and I really didn't like it. It was cliched and stereotypical. The voices of the main characters were not believable and their dialogue felt stiff. I was separated from the characters and their stories because of this. They were like cardboard cut-outs with difficult lives, that I didn't really care about. Then without even really noticing it, something changed.

After about 50 to 70 pages I really started enjoying the book. I also started caring about Echo and Noah. I wanted things to work out for them, and I wanted them to end up together. I think this change is mostly due to the voices of the characters. Somewhere along the way, they became much more individual and they felt honest. As well as this the smoothness of the writing definitely improved, making for a better reading experience.

By the end of the book, I was completely invested in this story, the characters and their struggles. It still had its flaws, and was still a bit predictable. But overall it was a great book about two very complicated lives coming together.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment