Thursday 15 May 2014

Book Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Mass

*This is the second book in a series. If you haven't read Throne of Glass. Then don't read this review as there are spoilers.

Buy This Book
Throne of Glass #2
Pages: 432
Published: August 2013
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Romance

Goodreads Synopsis...

From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.

 
Review...

I really enjoyed the second book in this series. Although theres something stopping me from really loving it. And Im not sure what. Maybe book three will win me over completely.


Crown of Midnight was so much better than Throne of Glass. First of all, the love triangle is gone! I was so happy when it went away, and also really surprised. I fully expected the author to keep it around longer, and I couldn't be happier that she decided not to. 

Secondly, we finally got to see Celaena being all assassin like. I have never been so happy that someone starting killing people. (Ok maybe I have) This is the bad ass character I was looking for in the first book. Finally the author decided to show and not just tell me, how awesome and strong the main character is.

Also the fantasy aspect of the story is developing more, and that is only good news. I cant wait for it to become an even bigger part of the story. But I really like where its going right now.

There were some things that I didn't like, the first of which was the romance. I just found it to be so dull, and uninteresting. Mostly because of who she chose. Don't get me wrong, I want her to be with the person she chose. He is definitely right for her. I just wish he weren't so boring as a character.

The start of the book is also kinda slow, especially compared to the rest of the book. Which is full of action and excitement. Also I was a bit underwhelmed by the end. I knew it was coming, and it just felt a bit messy and rushed.

With that said I still really enjoyed this book, and look forward to book 3.  

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment