Wednesday 14 May 2014

Book Review: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Buy This Book
Pages: 254
Published: 1890
Genres: Classics, Horror, Literature

Goodreads Synopsis...
The tale of a youth whose features, year after year, retain the same appearance of innocent beauty while the shame of his abhorrent vices becomes mirrored on the features of his portrait.

 
Review...
I have never found so many quotes I like from one book, as I have in The Picture of Dorian Gray. Oscar Wilde is a true artist when it comes to words. Every sentence, every line revealed something more, it was like poetry and was exquisite to read.


The writing is without a doubt, my favourite thing about this book. I also feel as though there is so much I've missed, and I look forward to reading this again. To find the gems that I missed the first time.

The characters are another thing that I liked about this book. All of them are extremely unlikeable, but also extremely interesting. Basil and his love for Dorian, was such an interesting relationship. There's a kind of desperation to Basil that makes him both pathetic and endearing to me. Henry seemed to be the writers way of imparting new perspectives on things. I felt like whenever Henry spoke, I should be ready to take down a new favourite quote. And then there is Dorian, who becomes somewhat of a psychopath, while of course retaining his innocent beauty.

The way that this story explored themes of vanity, identity and the soul was quite unique. Also I really liked that there was a continual tone of elegance, even during situations of cruelty and horror. This was such an interesting book, and I look forward to reading it again.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment