Wednesday 23 April 2014

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

*This is the second book in a series. If you haven't read If I Stay. Then don't read this review as there are spoilers.

Buy This Book
If I Stay #2
Pages: 274

Published: Apr 2011
Genres: YA, Romance, Contemporary

Goodreads Synopsis...  

It's been three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life.
And three years he's spent wondering why.
When their paths cross again in New York City, Adam and Mia are brought back together for one life-changing night.

Adam finally has the opportunity to ask Mia the questions that have been haunting him. But will a few hours in this magical city be enough to lay their past to rest, for good - or can you really have a second chance at first love?

 
Review...

If you've read my review of If I Stay, then you know I compared it to a stained glass window. This book is like stepping away from that window, from the light that shines through its newly put together pieces. Turning around and facing a new direction. You can still feel the warmth of the sun, and you know the colours and pictures are just behind you. But you no longer see them.

I loved the honest and unique way in which Adams story unraveled. He is in a very bad place, and we get to feel how much previous events have effected him. 

Just like If I Stay, the writing is simple yet truthful. The characters, feel real and their struggles become the readers struggles. I am becoming a big fan of Formans writing style, with its excellent pacing. And lyrics at the start of each chapter that connected things wonderfully, and that I would be thrilled to see become real songs.

The one thing I was missing in this book was Mia's family. They were not only my favourite thing in the previous book. But the flashbacks allowed for a balance between sorrow and happiness. That made the happy times sweeter, and made the sad present even more heartbreaking. Even so I still enjoyed this book, and would definitely recommend it to those who have read If I Stay.
 
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment