Tuesday 8 April 2014

Book Review: Allegiant by Veronica Roth

*This is the third and final book in a series. If you haven't read Divergent and Insurgent. Then don't read this review as there are spoilers. 

Buy This Book   
Final book in the Divergent series.  
Pages: 526
Published: Oct 2013
Genres: YA, Dystopian, Romance

Goodreads Synopsis... 
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

 
Review...
One of my favourite things about Divergent and Insurgent, is that there was so much action. Things kept happening and it was so fast paced, and fun to read. So I should have known that for the last book in this series. The author would take away all my favourite things, and give me somewhat whiny Tobias perspectives in return.

Dont get me wrong, I actually liked the book. I very much enjoyed Roth's writing style. It also explained everything, giving answers to all my questions. The relationship between Tris and Four also got more complicated, and it was interesting to see their struggle. Both with their relationship and as individuals. There was a real effort to make things and reactions realistic and honest, and I did appreciate that.

However there were many things that made me dislike this book. Firstly I found Four to be really different then he was in previous books. This may be because we got chapters from his perspective, but it still felt strange. Also I felt like the relationship between Tris and Four was sometimes a bit cheesy, and uncomfortable. Some of the things they did and thought, really surprised me.

Up until around the 400 page mark, everything felt very drawn out. The plot was predictable, and there was very little action. I had to push myself to read on, which is the opposite of how I felt reading Divergent. It was also sometimes hard to distinguish which perspective I was reading, because they weren't distinctive or different enough.

Another complaint I have is that I felt we saw very little of the side characters. They seemed really interesting but only made quick appearances in what was basically the 'Tris and Four Show'. And let me tell you, I changed the channel often.

One thing I am happy about is the end. It was where things finally picked up, and got interesting. I felt somewhat content finishing the book, and was happy with most of the events leading up to the very end. Even the one that some people are incredible mad about, and many have been spoiled about.

All in all, I'm disappointed with the book as a whole. But I did like it, and was happy with how the series ended. 

3/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment