Thursday 3 April 2014

Book Review: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Buy This Book
Pages: 229
Published:Sep 2006
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary

Goodreads Synopsis...

Katherine V thought boys were gross
Katherine X just wanted to be friends
Katherine XVIII dumped him in an e-mail
K-19 broke his heart
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.

On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun--but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.


Review... 
 
I took two days to read this book. It just so happens that there's a 5 month gap between those days.

This is a John Green book, which I've come to find means certain things. Which by all means can be found in this book:
-There is something very authenticly teenager about his writing. The thoughts characters have, the discoveries that might be simple, but change everything. Remind me so much of when I was a teenager. (Not that it was that long ago)
-Along with that authenticity comes intelligence, espcially in this book about a prodigy who aims to be a genius. The author doesn't dumb down the characters, infact he showcases their wit and intellegence, and best of all their sarcasm!  -The beauty is in the details. You can easily tell that a lot of work went into this book. The arabic, the anagrams, the footnotes and all the maths. As well as this, all the little quirks and small things. That are put together to make a beautifully detailed story. That has complicated and unique characters.

My main problem with this book, is I didn't get much out of it. I didn't love the characters, the plot felt aimless, and the themes didn't speak to me. I enjoyed reading it, but didn't miss it or feel the need to read it over my 5 month gap. I just sort of felt detached from what was a really well written story.

This is my third John Green book, and it is my least favorite so far. Thats not to say that I didnt like it. I just didnt care that much. Still, Im looking forward to reading Paper Towns.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment