Thursday 20 March 2014

Book Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Buy This Book
Shatter me #1
Pages: 338
Published: Jan 2011

Genres: YA, Dystopian, Romance

Goodreads Synopsis... 
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior


Review...
 

You know in the tv show Friends. When Joey writes a letter to an adoption agency for Monica and Chandler. And he tries to sound smart, so he uses a thesaurus on every single word. Turning
"They're warm, nice people with big hearts." into "They're humid, pre-possessing homosapiens with full-sized aortic pumps?"

Yeah... That's kind of what Tahereh Mafi did here. Except instead of using synonyms she used metaphors. I think you can probably see the point Im trying to make. That sometimes, simpler is better. And in the case of this book, simpler would have been much better.

Thats not to say that some of her metaphors aren't amazing to read. "I spent my life folded between the pages of books.” There are more but I cant remember them right now.

However there are also many many ridiculous metaphors.
-"I’m a tangle of butterflies."
-"My eyelashes trip into my eyebrows; my jaw drops into my lap."
-"He says it with a small smile the size of Jupiter."
-“I always won­der about raindrops. I won­der about how they’re always falling down, trip­ping over their own feet, break­ing their legs and for­get­ting their para­chutes as they tum­ble right out of the sky toward an uncer­tain end.” 

If you can get past this style of writing, then you get to the actual story and the characters. The characters are stereotypical, and dull. But hey at least their really hot. The plot is predictable, as its basically a love triangle parading as a post-apocalyptic dystopian.

The only thing I liked about the book, was that it was relatively easy to read, and fast paced in the second half. Also there were some really amazing metaphors, hidden among the thousands of ridiculous ones.

Needless to say, I don't recommend this book. I will not be reading the next book in the series. And hopefully no one will ever wonder about raindrops in my presence again.

1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment