Tuesday 25 March 2014

Book Review: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Buy This Book
Seraphina #1
Pages: 512
Published: Jan 2012
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Mystery

Goodreads Synopsis... 
Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.


Review...
 

I was really sick when I picked up this book. And it wasnt just a little cold, it was me in bed, in pain thinking about dying (because I'm a melodramatic like that). I think its a huge testiment to this book, that while I was reading it, I forgot I was sick. I let go of everything except for Seraphina, and all the dragons! Oh I love me some dragons!

So lets start by talking about the dragons in this book. They were so different from the way dragons are usually depicted, in that they could turn themselves into a human form. This let you see so much more about what its like to be a dragon, and also added so much dimension to these characters.

All the characters really were pretty amazing. Seraphina, is an incredibly likeable protagonist. She is talented, smart and really interesting. I loved seeing the story through her eyes, and also through her head.

The other thing that made this story so captivating was the world. The way that Hartman describes this world is so detailed but not overbearing. Her prose is amazing to read, and her entire story is so well paced. I wanted to keep reading, but I never felt like I was rushed. Also the political and royal  aspects to this world were very interesting, and added so much to the story.

The only aspect of the book that wasnt completely appealing to me was the romance. It was a very small part of the story, the dragons taking most of the spotlight (as they should). I just wasn't feeling the romance, it felt a bit unnecessary and the chemistry was lacking.

All in all though, I loved this book, and cant wait for the next installment which comes out in March 2015. Let the waiting begin!

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment