Saturday 20 April 2013

Book Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Pages: 452
Published: September 2011
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Mystery

Synopsis...
Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
IT CAN.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

THERE IS.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

SHE'S WRONG.

Review... 
The premise of this book drew me in immediately. And if Ive learnt anything form buying books based on their premise. Its that, the book is most probably going to disappoint me. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is no different.

There are some really good aspects to this book. Some of the characters were cool, and interesting. The whole mystery and the surprise at the end. And most of all, the main character losing control of herself/mind. Even though she was fighting as hard as she could to not go crazy. It made me feel like I was dizzy and about to fall, but it was too late to stop it. I love it when books have that type of effect on me.

However the bad aspects of the book definitely overshadow the good for me. First and foremost, the romance. Mara and Noah ARE Bella and Edward from Twilight. Ok I need to explain, the characters themselves are not exact replica's. However there are so many common factors (minus the vampires) in the two books romances, and circumstances. That throughout the book, I was constantly wondering whether this was fan-fiction. It isnt, but just the fact that it made me question that is really bad. And this emulation of the Twilight romance is not just a momentary occurrence, it spans the entire book and if nothing else, annoyed the hell out of me.

There was also a part in the book that had a deeply obvious flaw. One that makes me question how much (if any) research the author did. And even though the two main characters were interesting, especially Mara. Most of the other characters were dull, and just background noise. 

Although I would have loved more focus on the creepiness and much less on the romance. This was still a really enjoyable read that I finished in a flash. I will be picking up the next book in the series. To find out what happens next, and also because of the awesome covers.

3/5 


No comments:

Post a Comment